Blockade lifted over mishap–death on NH 37

SILCHAR, September 8: The NH 37 that links Silchar with Imphal was blocked by enraged and agitated people over the death of a 60–year– old cycle–borne man identified as Majai Uddin in the evening of Saturday for four hours in protest against the reckless driving of a night super bus which knocked down the
victim. According to information, Majai Uddin, who was proceeding on cycle from Pailapool to his native village of Ghantaghar under Lakhipur police station, met with the fatal accident when a night super bus of Assam Valley knocked him down from behind. It was around 3.30 pm. The spot of the accident was near the home village of the victim, 3 km from Fulertal. The night super bus No. AS 01 DD 9395 was moving from Fulertal to Guwahati. After being knocked down from his cycle, Majai Uddin was thrown on the road and he died on the spot. His cycle was badly damaged and mangled. Immediately a mob stopped the bus and stones being pelted by them broke the front and back window panes of the vehicle. In the milieu, the driver of the bus managed to run away and was absconding. The bus was taken by the police to Lakhipur police station and detained there. In the morning of today, everything was peaceful. But, when the body of Majai Uddin after post mortem from Silchar Medical College and Hospital was brought to his Ghantaghar home, people again got excited and blocked NH 37. Circle Officer, Ruth Lienthang, arrived on the spot and held discussion with Pailapool GP president, Abdul Hakim, AP member, Binodini Devi, and Haji Hayed Ali, minority cell chairman, and all of them persuaded the people to lift the blockade and assured the family members of the victim of adequate compensation from the government. The blockade which started from 10
am was lifted at 3 pm. Hundreds of vehicles were stranded on both sides were allowed passage to move.
Frequent accidents on this NH 37 have become cause of concern for people in general. (Sentinelassam)